Quebec  -  Non-Construction
How to Cancel a Union Card


You are free to decide if you want a Union to unionize you or not. The law says you should not be unlawfully forced to make this decision and that no one, including the union or its supporters, should try to influence your decision using unlawful threats, penalties, intimidation or promises.

  • Whatever your decision, we recommend you make it by using a union Card or by canceling any previously signed union Card (or Application for union Membership).
  • If you support the union and want to be unionized by it, sign a union Card (or Application for union Membership). We suggest you ask for and keep a copy of anything you sign.
  • If you don't support the union, oppose it, or just don't want to be unionized by it, don't sign a union Card (or Application for union Membership). But, if you feel this way and have signed a Card (or Application for union Membership), cancel it.

If you find that you cannot get your Card (or Application for union Membership) back — and it may be hard, then you will have to let the union know that you no longer want to be unionized or “represented” by them and that you want your Card (or Application for union Membership) cancelled. Do this immediately and do it in writing — our website has the forms and instructions to help you try to do this.

Even if you do this for yourself, there may still be a vote. Voting "no" to being unionized, if you get a chance to vote, is the only way to be sure that your changed position counts.

If you do not get your Card back, or the union does not respond to your Personal Cancellation or to a Group Petition, you do not have to vote for the union — you can still be a "Member" and vote no — if a vote is held.

Get the Forms

Individual Letter or Form

To cancel your union Membership Card (or Application for union Membership), you have to notify the union. Send the union a letter or use a Cancellation Form or a Petition. It should state that you no longer want to be a member of the union and that you don't want to be unionized or “represented” by it.

Group Petition

If you know others who want to cancel their union Cards (or Applications for union Membership) you may use a Group Petition instead. Just like a letter or form, your Group Petition would state that those signing it don't want to be Members of the union and don't want the union to “represent” them.

You can get copies of these forms along with a copy of these instructions in the Downloads section. Alternatively, click here to view the forms for Quebec.

Using Your Own Group Petition (rather than our online one)

  • The top of each page should contain a statement about what it means to sign the petition.
  • Before anyone signs the petition, make sure they are given a chance to read the statement at the top of the page.
  • For each person who signs the petition, get their signature, printed name, address, and the date they signed.
  • All signatures must be witnessed (the same person can witness more than one signature).
  • The signatures must not be gathered during working hours, but they can be collected when you and the person signing are on break, as well as before or after work.
  • The petition should always be in your custody (or in the custody of those who are helping you) or kept in a safe place. When you send your petition to the union, send the original to the union, send a copy to the Québec Commission des relations du travail, and keep a copy for yourself.

Timing Your Cancellation

Don't put off cancelling your Card (or Application for union Membership). If the union applies to unionize you before you cancel it, then your decision to cancel your union Card (or Application for union Membership) will not count.

There is even more reason not to delay when you intend to send the union a Group Petition. If the union doesn't know that some people no longer support it, it may use those names when applying to unionize you.

Deliver your forms

We recommend that the best way to deliver your documents is by Registered Mail with signature required at the time of reception.

Notify the union that you have sent copies to the TAT also.

Always keep proof of delivery of your documents and keep copies for yourself.

Updated: 2017-01-06
Informed Employees | Informed Choices
Federal or Province

In most cases you will select the province where you work.

However, select "Federal and Territories", if any of the following apply:

  • You live in Northwest Territories, Nunavut or Yukon.
  • You work as a federal civil servant anywhere in Canada.
  • You work in one of the following industries:
    • airports or air transportation
    • broadcasting - radio, television or cable television
    • telecommunications
    • banking
    • fisheries (but only if your business relates to the protection and preservation of fisheries as a natural resource)
    • shipping and navigation (including loading and unloading vessels)
    • grain handling
    • uranium mining and processing
    • certain federal crown agencies
  • You work in one of the following industries AND (a) your activities connect one province to another OR (b) extend beyond the limit of one province:
    • air transport
    • canals
    • ferries, tunnels and bridges
    • highway transport of good or passengers
    • railway transport of goods or passengers