British Columbia  -  Construction
How to Cancel a Union Card


You are free to decide if you want a Union to represent you or not. The law says you should not feel forced to make this decision and that no one, including the union or its supporters, should try to influence your decision using threats, penalties, intimidation or even promises.

  • Whatever your decision, we recommend you express it using a union card or by canceling any previously signed union card.
  • If you support the union and want to be represented by it, sign a union card. We suggest you ask for and keep a copy of anything you sign.
  • If you don't support the union, oppose it, or just don't want to be represented by it, don't sign a union card. But, if you feel this way and have signed a card, cancel it.

If you find that you cannot get your card back — and it may be hard, then you will have to let the union know that you no longer want to be represented by them and that you want your card cancelled. Do this immediately and do it in writing — our website has the forms and instructions to help you try to do this.

Even if you do this for yourself, there may still be a vote. Voting "no" to being unionized, if you get a chance to vote, is the only way to be sure that your changed position counts.

If you do not get your card back, or the union does not respond to your personal cancellation or to a group petition, you do not have to vote for the union — you can still be a "member" and vote no — if a vote is held.

Get the Forms

To cancel your union card, you need to inform the union and the Labour Relations Board of British Columbia. Send the union and the BCLRB a letter or use a standard form. It should say that you no longer want to be a member of the union and don't want to be represented by it. The statement must be dated and the statement must state the proper name of the union and the local number (if applicable).

You can get copies of these forms along with a copy of these instructions in the Downloads section. Alternatively, click here to view the form for British Columbia.

Timing Your Cancellation

Don't put off canceling your card. If the union applies to be certified before you inform them, your decision to cancel your union card will not count. An employee is entitled to revoke their membership support up to and including the day the union applies for certification.

If the union doesn't know you no longer support it, the union may use your name when applying for certification.

Deliver your forms

You will need to "deliver" your cancellation documents to both the union and the BCLRB. To do this, you can either fax, hand-deliver or courier them.

If you hand-deliver or courier your cancellation documents, you should get the address for the union from the BCLRB and should deliver them during normal business hours.

If you fax your documents, here are some rules you should know:

  • If you fax your documents, you must get the fax number for the union from the BCLRB. Also, it's a good practice to write down the name of the person who gave you the fax number.
  • Each time you fax your documents, you must call the person you faxed them to (the union or the BCLRB to inform them you have sent your documents.
  • Once you fax your documents to the BCLRB, you must still deliver the original to their offices within 3 days by courier or hand-delivery.
Updated: 2008-03-22
Informed Employees | Informed Choices
Federal or Province

In most cases you will select the province where you work.

However, select "Federal and Territories", if any of the following apply:

  • You live in Northwest Territories, Nunavut or Yukon.
  • You work as a federal civil servant anywhere in Canada.
  • You work in one of the following industries:
    • airports or air transportation
    • broadcasting - radio, television or cable television
    • telecommunications
    • banking
    • fisheries (but only if your business relates to the protection and preservation of fisheries as a natural resource)
    • shipping and navigation (including loading and unloading vessels)
    • grain handling
    • uranium mining and processing
    • certain federal crown agencies
  • You work in one of the following industries AND (a) your activities connect one province to another OR (b) extend beyond the limit of one province:
    • air transport
    • canals
    • ferries, tunnels and bridges
    • highway transport of good or passengers
    • railway transport of goods or passengers