When you use the LabourWatch website, we respect your privacy. The Canadian LabourWatch Association will never willfully disclose individually identifiable information about its users to anyone outside of LabourWatch without first receiving that user's consent - period.
What Personal Information do we collect?
Canadian privacy legislation defines "Personal Information" broadly as information about an identifiable individual or as information that allows an individual to be identified. For the purposes of this policy, Personal Information means information about an identifiable individual as defined from time to time in applicable privacy legislation. Generally speaking Personal Information does not include what is considered business contact information: your name, title or position, business address, telephone number, email address or fax number.
We generally do not obtain personal information about you other than that which you choose to provide. We may ask you for your name, city, province, telephone number, fax number, email address, place of employment, union representation or membership status, or union activity as well as any comments, suggestions or other information you think would be useful to LabourWatch. Also, some information like your domain name, your browser and platform type may be automatically recognized when you visit our site by our web hosting company’s stats tracking program.
Why do we collect your Personal Information
In general, LabourWatch collects, uses and discloses Personal Information in order to provide users and members with information about labour relations and the unionization process, including information about employee rights regarding unionization. More specifically, we collect, use and disclose your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- To learn about the audience we are reaching and to receive feedback so that we can provide better service and improve our website.
- To establish and manage relationships with users and members.
- To contact and communicate with individuals about labour relations and the unionization process and to conduct surveys, research and evaluations.
- To develop, enhance, market, sell or otherwise provide LabourWatch’s services.
- To distribute newsletters, conference information and other material to individuals on our mail and e-mail lists, including via third party mailing houses and e-mail service providers.
- To develop and manage LabourWatch's operations.
- To detect and protect LabourWatch and other third parties against error, negligence, breach of contract, fraud, theft and other illegal activity, and to audit compliance with LabourWatch policies and contractual obligations.
- As permitted by, and to comply with, any legal or regulatory requirements or provisions.
- For any other purpose to which you consent.
To whom do we disclose your Personal Information?
We will not sell, rent, trade or otherwise disclose the information which individually identifies you to anyone outside of LabourWatch or its service providers, including an organization or individual retained by LabourWatch to perform functions on its behalf, such as marketing, data processing, document management and office services.
Where do we store your Personal Information?
Personal Information is stored in secured locations and on computers controlled by LabourWatch, located either at our offices or at the offices of our service providers.
How may you obtain access to your Personal Information?
Upon your written request, subject to certain exceptions, LabourWatch will inform you of the existence, use, and disclosure of your Personal Information and will give you access to that information. Access requests should be sent to our Chief Privacy Officer, using the contact information below.
If we use your personal information to make a decision that directly affects you, we will retain that personal information for at least one year so that you have a reasonable opportunity to request access to it. Otherwise we will retain your personal information only as long as necessary to fulfill the identified purposes for a legal or business purpose. You may also request any corrections to your personal information by writing to our Chief Privacy Officer. If your personal information is inaccurate or incomplete, we will correct it and send the correction to any organization to which we disclosed the personal information in the previous year. If the correction is not made, we will note your correction request in the file.
Privacy and our Website
- Online Communications – In order to provide our website visitors with a service or information, visitors may voluntarily submit Personal Information to us for purposes such as asking a question, obtaining information, reviewing or downloading a publication, participating in a seminar or other event, and participating in contests and surveys. If you are known to LabourWatch as a registered user of an online service, we may combine and store Personal Information about your use of our website and the online information you have provided with certain other online and offline information we may have collected.
- E-Mail Communications - Occasionally, we may send e-mail communications to you with information that may be useful, including information about the services of LabourWatch. We will include instructions on how to unsubscribe and inform us of preferences if you decide you do not want to receive any future e-mails from LabourWatch.
- Links - Our website may contain links to other websites which are provided as a convenience only. Visitors are advised that other third party websites may have different privacy policies and practices than LabourWatch, and LabourWatch has no responsibility for such third party websites.
All information collected or stored by LabourWatch will only be used or disclosed for the purposes identified at the time you give your consent.
Chief Privacy Officer
Suite 205, 125A-1030 Denman Street
Vancouver, BC V6G 2M6